Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Room of Our Own

“No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.” – Dead Poets Society.



“a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction”
“But for women, I thought, looking at the empty shelves, these difficulties were infinitely more formidable.  In the first place, to have a room of her own, let alone a quiet room or a sound–proof room, was out of the question, unless her parents were exceptionally rich or very noble, even up to the beginning of the nineteenth century.  Since her pin money, which depended on the goodwill of her father, was only enough to keep her clothed, she was debarred from such alleviations as came even to Keats or Tennyson or Carlyle, all poor men, from a walking tour, a little journey to France, from the separate lodging which, even if it were miserable enough, sheltered them from the claims and tyrannies of their families.  Such material difficulties were formidable; but much worse were the immaterial. The indifference of the world which Keats and Flaubert and other men of genius have found so hard to bear was in her case not indifference but hostility.  The world did not say to her as it said to them, Write if you choose; it makes no difference to me.  The world said with a guffaw, Write? What’s the good of your writing? . . . For surely it is time that the effect of discouragement upon the mind of the artist should be measured”



"Once conform, once do what other people do because they do it, and a lethargy steals over all the finer nerves and faculties of the soul. She becomes all outer show and inward emptiness; dull, callous, and indifferent."




"So the days pass, and I ask myself whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life, and whether this is living."




~ Virginia Woolf


3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was reading through your blog, and I like the way you designed it... very cool. I want to welcome you to my blog. It is about art, and inspirations, personal to me and my followers, and if you follow me, I will follow you.

    So what do you think?

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correctly in your fine image, and your blog as a whole is nice to read and watch. I like your blog very much. Come take a look Teuvo images www.ttvehkalahti.blogspot.com blog and tell all your friends why you should visit Teuvo Photos blog, because that will stand up to your country's flag above my blog. September Sincerely Teuvo Vehkalahti Suomi Finland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words Jesse and Teuvo. I appreciate your comments and will visit your blogs! :)
    ~ Jan

    ReplyDelete